Wednesday, May 30, 2007
I was one that was not surprised by the results of the IAT’s results. I feel as though the website made you feel biased toward certain things. I took the Age test and in the beginning it stated that most people prefer younger rather than older. So going into the tests you already had the pre-set images. I also didn’t understand exactly what it was trying to prove, I don’t feel that I had certain biases towards things, I just feel the way the tests switched the categories made it hard to switch the words so quickly. I do understand however why you used these tests in a women’s studies course. I feel that bias is a major part of women’s studies, especially for the men taking the courses. I feel that this course could open some people’s eyes to certain biases that they might not know they have, but for the most part I feel that some of the tests subliminally message the results that the testers want. I feel that it is important to look at prejudices and biases because these things hold us back. As humans we naturally have prejudices and biases towards something, some more major than others. Some people are prejudice towards women where as some people, vegetarians, are biased to veggies. If you look at prejudices and biases this way I feel that some are not as bad as another person’s can be. I also feel that certain prejudices and biases cannot be helped. I say this because a lot of the biases we develop depend on how we are raised and where we grow up. For instance, if you grow up in a small southern town, some could be more likely to develop prejudice towards African Americans or Gays. However if you were to grow up in say L.A., you probably wouldn’t think twice about either of these. I feel that a lot of our biases develop from the environment we are surrounded in. When I chose to take the tests I did, I mainly looked at the blurbs underneath each test and decide which ones sounded like fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
good start but do more with your analysis by working in ideas from the tutorial!
Post a Comment