Friday, June 15, 2007

Activity 5

I feel that this film is saying that society has a beauty ideal where you can’t be on magazines or television unless you are “fake”. Watching the video, the woman who sat down to have her picture taken I feel was not the same women who ended up on the billboard. She had her make-up done, her hair done, and she was air brushed retouched and digitally enhanced. This video is saying that the contemporary beauty ideal is not what it appears to be. Every commercial or advertisement you see is not naturally that way. Women sit in chairs for hours of make-up and hair to be what we see on the television or magazines and billboards.
I feel that our beauty ideal has become so distorted because of the media that we view. If you look through the channels on TV you do not come across many ugly people. By seeing this we feel that we will not be as atheistically pleasing unless we are super skinny, or tan, or have a flawless face. When we play into the standards of beauty we teach our children to do the same thing. I was watching a show on child beauty pageants and I could not believe the things that the children had done to win these pageants. They were spray tanned, and hair sprayed and had so much make up on they looked like teenagers. In these beauty pageants, the children even have fake teeth that they used when they were competing. I feel that this is exactly why our beauty image is distorted, because we learn from a young age that to be successful you have to embody the standards of beauty that society has formed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good... any ideas on how we can change these ideals?