I feel that certain gender constructions we have learned are the roots of sexual violence, especially against women. I think because we have been taught that women are the weaker sex opens the door for violence against us. In the world today many people prey on those who are weaker than they are, so if women are viewed to be weaker then we are the prime candidates for harassment and other acts of violence. One thing that I find interesting is that there are many cases of sexual violence and rape against men, we however hardly hear of it. In one of the training video’s we have to watch for orientation there is a scene of sexual harassment with a male the victim. This was the third time I have been through orientation, but this was the first time that we saw a man in the victim role. I feel that the gender constructions we believe are a main reason why certain gender violence is publicized.
One aspect that I do not agree with are the women who say that they have been raped, but have really just woken up the next morning and decided they have made a mistake. I feel that for one, this could ruin an individual’s life and not only that but demeans the women who have actually been raped. I feel that these women are looking for an excuse for their behavior and find it easier to say that they have been sexually abused rather than saying they have made a mistake. I feel that all sexual violence is a serious issue, but for a woman to ruin a man’s life because she woke up the next morning and felt she had made a mistake is just wrong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am reading this as your submission for crj #3...
do much more with this essay... go into specifics about how violence (the dominator and the dominated) fits into the construction of masculinity and femininity...
Post a Comment