Monday, June 25, 2007

In this interview, I decided the best people to talk to were the ones that are closest to me. I talked to my mother, father, boyfriend, and sister. I found the information from the women’s center at Virginia Tech and decided since I was a college student this would be the best statistics to discuss. When I first showed each of them the statistics I found on the Tech website, they were all shocked. My mother and father both seemed to be the most worried. They could not believe the rape and stalking statistics and made them more nervous about me being on campus alone. My boyfriend how ever was shocked that the stats for rape were not higher. The statistics also made my sister a little apprehensive because she lives by herself in Myrtle Beach and she figured that the statistics would be the same if not higher. I also shared with my father and boyfriend, the white ribbon campaign. They both had not really heard of it, but they thought it was pretty cool that so many men were speaking out against violence against women.
I feel that this experience has made me more aware of the violence that surrounds women. I had always known that it was a major issue; I however had never really read any statistics. I find it amazing that one out of twelve women will be stalked in their lifetime where as one in forty five men will be stalked in their lifetime. I just never realized how one-sided violence is when it comes to gender. I also feel a little safer about being on campus because I had always thought that the rape statistics would be higher. However, I still feel that it is unsafe for a female to walk alone on a campus as large as ours is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what specific stats did you share? go into more detail about the responses, etc.